Friday, October 9, 2009

Wordstock

This weekend I am attending two full-days of workshops for writers at Portland's book and literary festival--Wordstock. Tomorrow, I'll be learning about how to become a successful freelance writer, tips on writing a memoir that sells, how to market myself and manuscript to publishers, how not to lose my family or mind while writing a book, and will even meet with editors from the Ooligan Press.

I am thrilled to be taking this next step in my writing journey and know that it is a beginning stepping stone in what will evolve in me as a writer over the coming years.

I look forward to being inspired by the successful, learn from the wise, and hear the stories of the many individuals who have brought their dream of becoming a successful freelancer or author to fruition. There is a passion in each of us and tomorrow, mine will sit comfortably observing the sites and sounds of other writers who have mastered their craft and tell their stories. I aspire to (in a short time) do the same. I may get the basics of grammar confused at times--thanks Riverview Elementary, and Tim--I'm working on it--swear, but the story within me will not leave me alone. I am proud to say that I am finally taking those nightful wakes of dreams of chapters and a book title, unceasing bookish thoughts and heeding the message of mentors and my heart. I can if I will.

I leave you with a quote that sums up my very feelings on all that I have learned in the last month and a half--

"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than the one's you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Mark Twain


Here's to an inspiring weekend full of words!

5 comments:

shannon October 10, 2009 at 6:13 AM  

Yes! I can't wait to hear all about it...
You know what is funny? In regards to your statement, "I can if I will..." During my orientation for med school, we did a ceremony thing where we were all in a circle and we were each tied into one long piece of string around our wrists. When we cut free of the string we had to say something that we wanted to always remember throughout the process of school (our mantra of sorts)... anyways, what I said was "I can and I will" :)
I am so excited that you are in this place of knowing that you are doing what you were meant to do. Few people I think allow themselves to discover that so I am so happy for you. Enjoy the weekend my dear!

candacemorris October 11, 2009 at 5:28 PM  

Oh what a great idea! Wish I would have known about this sooner. Let's do it next year and MEET!:)

Keri October 12, 2009 at 3:29 PM  

There's nothing better than being alone (or with good friends) and enjoying something that you're passionate about. 2 days of heaven...I'm jealous!! :)

Loredana October 14, 2009 at 7:48 AM  

Oh tell me how it goes! Sounds very interesting!!!!!

Cassie October 14, 2009 at 11:10 PM  

Shan--thanks for the encouraging words. We're both after living what we love, that's for sure.

Candace--Yes! Let's go together next year! That sounds like so much fun. :)

Loredana--it was awesome. I highly recommend to all my writing buddies out there to find workshops. They are invaluable.

Keri--Yes, it was heavenly. :)

“You must write every single day of your life... You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads... may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.” ― Ray Bradbury
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP