Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Neighborly Christmas Gift Ideas

The sun is shining and the stove is roaring here at the McCully ranch,
and I have one particular question on the mind this morning...

Do you give your neighbors Christmas gifts? 

Last year, we delivered plates of cookies to almost all of the neighbors in our culdesac.  I couldn't bring myself to deliver to the home where the older couple lived, who told my other neighbor, "we were probably drug dealers," because we appeared to have money.  I have to admit I was completely offended when I heard that that woman was talking like that about us.  I wanted to knock on her door and tell her that my husband works 50+ hours a week planning and coordinating large building and remodel projects, and that she should keep her judgements to her nasty little self.  Now, that's the Christmas spirit, no?  So instead, I kept her plate of cookies for ourselves.

Growing up, we had close family friends that lived down the street from us, who made a Christmas stop at our house every year.  They were a large family of five kids, like mine, and even when the kids went off for college, they continued to gather together as a family and visit neighbors during the Christmas season.  We looked forward to their holiday visit each year, as they would begin singing Christmas carols before we had even opened the door to greet them.  All seven of them, and then ten to twelve of them (once they started marrying off) would sing a few carols in their beautiful family harmony, all while holding their trademark candy cane shaped cinnamon rolls.

Think this:
and this:
I just might have to track this old-family-friend-mama down,
and tell her where my family lives, now..
and ask her to teach me her tasty cinnamon roll pointers.
Here's a few more fantastic ideas that would be fun to give and receive!


Do you give neighbor gifts?
And do you have traditions for what you give?

x

cinnamon roll
apple pie candy cane

7 comments:

Katharine December 13, 2011 at 11:57 AM  

We always give bags of pretzel candy, or plates of cookies...this year is a new neighborhood, so I'm not sure what we'll do.

Cassie December 13, 2011 at 12:35 PM  

Hi Katherine! Love pretzel candy. I need to whip up a batch for this house!

It's me December 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM  

Yes of course......we gave the present what we had lost last year.......really !!! hahahahhahah!!...love from me....xxx...

Taesha Baldridge Cecil December 13, 2011 at 2:53 PM  

Mmmm looks delish! And ya, we give our neighbors gifts. Food(:

Gigi's Thimble December 13, 2011 at 6:36 PM  

cassie,

i tell ryan every year about the gillespies making that candy cane cinnamon roll thingy. i have her cinnamon roll recipe, but am not sure if it can easily translate into a candy cane?!? if you can get a hold of her and find out the details please do pass them on! i would really love to carry on the tradition...

ambs

Cassie December 13, 2011 at 7:13 PM  

hey sis, I'm thinking about contacting her. if I do, i will surely let you know the details!

x

brittany marie davis December 14, 2011 at 8:27 AM  

Jared also tells me about the cinnamon roll candy canes the Gillespies would deliver each year. What an impression it made on you davis'. Pretty much Sister Gillespie is an icon here in our family. I have tried almost all of her recipes! Love her! And I'll never forget the time Jared took her on the back of his motorcycle! What a hoot she is. Anyway, yes we do deliver neighbor gifts. Always sweets, but each year something different. This year its caramel!

“You must write every single day of your life... You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads... may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.” ― Ray Bradbury
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP