Saturday, December 17, 2011

Our Tree


This year, I took a whole new approach with our tree.  In the past I've been a colored lights/jewel toned ornament kinda gal.  But after making many, many antique book page and music page ornaments for my show, and loving them, I felt it was time to change up the Christmas decor.

I love the change of white lights and the natural colors mixed with the classic red and green, and the rustic burlap next to the glittered poinsettias.  Seems to be an appropriate change, too, as the entire ceiling in our home is pine, making things unavoidably rustic.  I know.  Pine ceilings. 
I should have told you.

I had to check myself as we were decorating, though, as flashbacks of the year when our family tree was torn from my siblings and I, filled my mind... 

One unforeseen year, my Mom decided she had had enough with our childhood tree.  She no longer cared for our dough and paper ornaments with all five of our precious growing faces throughout the years, but had plans of her own.

The precious ornaments were "accidentaly" left in some attic box--and were no longer marked Christmas, but old Christmas, while our tree was replaced with gold and burgundy trimmings to make a Music Tree. 

To distract me, the youngest, she had me play store with all the ornaments while she wrapped her new gold music note garland around the branches and bulged bugles and other instruments off the tree.  Very tricky.

From then on, we referred to the tree as Mom's Music Tree, and our sweet handmade ornaments and set of stockings, each unique, were never to be seen again.
I'm sorry, Mom.  I can't stop myself from being mellow dramatic, here. 

So, I've told myself over and over that I would never have a themed tree at the expense of the hearts of my children.  So, I compromised and kept the most unique and special ornaments made by the kiddos and displayed them with the rest of the new trimmings.  And it worked out lovely.

P.S. Just to clear things up--the music tree was an award winner. 
My Mom has her way like that.
Love ya, Mom!

x

17 comments:

It's me December 17, 2011 at 12:48 PM  

What a wonderful tree!!!..i love it....love love ....xxx....

x
xxx
xxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
||
||

ShannonAnn December 17, 2011 at 1:22 PM  

Your tree is beautiful! I love the story of your childhood Christmas tree. When I was four years old my Mom bought a silver tree with blue glass ornaments and a light that rotated blue, red and green at the bottom of the tree. I so enjoy a real tree now, but my Mom's silver tree was truly magical to me then.
Wishing you a wondrous Christmas!

Cassie December 17, 2011 at 3:06 PM  

Thank you, Ria and ShannonAnn!

The oldest memories are some of the fondest, no?

Sara C. December 18, 2011 at 12:33 AM  

It is such a marvellous Christmas tree!
Have a nice Christmas!
Sara C.

Jennifer D December 18, 2011 at 6:40 AM  

I love your stories and your tree is Wonderful. I really like that Steampunk art piece behind it.

I have decorated the same sort of tree every year my son has been alive. Sometimes I will put only red and green and sometimes I cover it with only white and blue but I always put up a green garland to hang all the special ones that don't make it onto that years tree.

This year I really stirred things up and bought a white tree (very unlike me) and covered it with white lights and jewel toned ornaments. Boy does my son hate it! I thought at 19 he would care...I was wrong. ;0)

P.S. my Mom did a music tree once, all red and gold...with bugles!

Jennifer D December 18, 2011 at 6:41 AM  

I meant at 19 I thought he would'nt care!

Connie December 18, 2011 at 6:42 AM  

Wow, Hon, I never realized that was so tramatic for you! I'm sorry, and I know that that must have meant something to you kids because you're not the first of the kids to comment on "my" tree. We moms never know what is going to scar our children when we're doing them--trust me, we do worry about that sometimes! BTW--your tree here is beautiful!

Amanda December 18, 2011 at 7:55 AM  

It looks totally amazing and beautiful!

Allisunny S. December 18, 2011 at 1:18 PM  

Well that is just fabulously beautiful!
xo,
Allison

Sarah Hartley December 18, 2011 at 5:30 PM  

Gorgeous tree! I really love the music note ornament. I've just found your blog and I'm loving it. I'm now following. I hope you'll stop by my blog some time and say hi (and follow back if you're interested).
Sarah
http://comingunstitched.blogspot.com

Cassie December 18, 2011 at 6:03 PM  

Thanks for your kind words! Now, only if the tree wasn't dying already!!?!

Sarah-Welcome! I hope you enjoy your stay! I'll be coming over to say hello!

Jussie De Guida December 19, 2011 at 7:02 AM  

What a beautiful tree! Thanks for the sweet comment. I definitely needed to treat myself to something after that day! Love your blog!!

Lauren Leggatt December 19, 2011 at 10:07 AM  

your tree is so pretty! i love the burlap touch! :)

Jessi December 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM  

What a gorgeous Christmas tree! I love all the little ornaments, especially the music sheet ornament! That is such a cute little story about your mom's music tree :)

me December 19, 2011 at 4:51 PM  

your tree looks so beautiful. i love your colour scheme and how you've mixed lovely decorations with special kid decorations too!

Kassie December 20, 2011 at 8:31 AM  

I LOVE the ornaments with book pages and music - your tree is beautiful.

Loredana December 20, 2011 at 11:38 AM  

GORGEOUS TREEEEEEE!!!!!!!

“You must write every single day of your life... You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads... may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.” ― Ray Bradbury
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP