Sunday, October 18, 2009

Silly Somethings From a Three Year Old

Setting: Today/fall day/almost evening. Brooklynn and Asher playing in the backyard. I am in the kitchen listening to music and their noise while cleaning the kitchen. Sliding back door open.

Brooklynn comes into the kitchen and asks for a spoon to stir her "soup" in the backyard. She asks for one of my nice wooden spoons in the holder on the counter. I decided that my old black plastic one in the drawer will be best instead. Happily she goes on her way and I watch as she makes her way to the furthest corner of the yard to the half-deflated swimming pool. A few minutes later Asher comes into the kitchen. He opens the silverware drawer. I ask,"you want a spoon, too?" and hand him another old black plastic spoon from the drawer. He takes it from me happily and walks back outside.

Moments later.

Brooklynn in a loud yell/song--loud enough for the neighbors to hear:

"Yeah!
God made everything!
In the world!
I love you!
God loves all of His children, too!
Yeah!
Bob the Builder, yes we can!
1-2-3 splash in the water now.
Yeah!"

A few minutes later, Asher comes inside. I hear him shuffle in the pantry. "Asher come here," I say. He comes out with a bag of boxed raisins with wet pants, grass covered crocs, and a drippy nose. I realize it is time to bring Brooklynn in as well. I remember that I saw her fleece on the kitchen floor. "Brooklynn, time to come in." "What? Why?" she says. "Do you not have shoes on?!" "No," she says. "Get in here. And bring those spoons, please. Is that my towel? Get my towel, please." She comes in with hands full.

Brooklynn says, "Do you know why I was barefooted out there?" "No, please tell me," I say.
"Because that's how bears do it," she says. "Are you mad?"

I couldn't be mad. She is the funniest person I know.

A few minutes later:

"My shoes are outside," she says.

"They are? Where?" I say.

"They're in the pool."

"What?" I say, imagining how nasty that pool is.

I get my shoes on and grab a sweater and head for the farthest corner of the yard.

There I found them--in her soup.


The other spoon is still missing.

7 comments:

Connie October 18, 2009 at 7:43 PM  

Nana here--I LOVED Brooklynn's song! She's such a cutie, and I love that Asher is trying to follow in her footsteps. And I truly love that you are documenting these moments, Hon! You have such a gift for writing!

Gigi's Thimble October 18, 2009 at 8:52 PM  

That is so cute and funny! Oh, they are so innocent and carefree. I love it!

shannon October 19, 2009 at 8:45 AM  

Hahahaha... Brooklynn is so funny! I think I might use that from now on... "because that's how bears do it" :) Thanks for sharing!!

Keri October 19, 2009 at 3:40 PM  

Oh, not to have a care in the world. It's so great!

Queen B October 19, 2009 at 11:16 PM  

Oh I love my niece and nephew!!! :) Soo cute!!!

brittany marie davis October 20, 2009 at 8:15 AM  

Adorable. Asher & Noah got the same thing going on - if big brother/sister does it, than it is definitely something they need to do.

Loredana October 20, 2009 at 12:14 PM  

Hysterical!!! I love listening to kids and their take on things, makes life much simpler if we could just throw our shoes into soup and lose ourselves for a bit because you know "that's how bears do it", HA!

“You must write every single day of your life... You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads... may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.” ― Ray Bradbury
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP