Monday, December 19, 2011

Most Embarrassing Moment {Christmas Church Service Edition}

Yesterday, the kids and I went to church after having missed a few weeks due to the bazaar.  Husband wasn't able to come with us as he was busy with a list of obligations, so on our way we went--the three of us.  I signed the kids into their classrooms, hardly paid any notice to the halos and wings being passed out in Brooklynn's class and headed up the back stairs to the sanctuary.  We usually sit in the top of the auditorium near the center.  I told Husband a few months ago that we should move up front, and he responded, you could move up front.  So in the back center is where we sit.

Oh, it was nice to finally be at church.  I sat down, relieved to be free from the everyday noise and demands.  About the time I was settling in for some holiday reflection, our pastor got up and welcomed everyone saying, "who's here to see a child today?"  Suddenly, flashes of wings and halos and the children pastor's chic black blazer and heels all came together.  In about one minute the Christmas program was beginning and my kids hadn't a lick of what to do, dance or sing, and they're wearing near play clothes and tennis shoes.

I sprang out of my seat, ditched my purse and hurried to save my family.  There I found the children's pastor dolled up, like I'd previously noticed, guiding a line of 30+ 3-4 year olds, including Asher, wearing fabric tied around his head like a little shepherd boy.  He looked surprisingly thrilled with what was about to take place.  When I explained to another teacher that I didn't know if he should take part in today's performance, since he hadn't ever been to practice, she said, "oh, none of the little kids know what they're doing; they'll just stand there and look cute."  Easy enough, I guess that'll do, I thought.

I went to find Brooklynn and when I found her in stretch pants and wings, I asked her point blank, You want to sit this one out since you haven't practiced, or do you want to do this?  There is a fine line when telling your child he or she can't take part in a children's activity when all of the other humans under the age of 10 are doing it, so I let her decide, and she said yes.

I held my breath as I went back to my seat and for the next ten minutes while the big kids performed.  Then it was the younger kids' turn.  Brooklynn was the first kindergartner to take the stage.  The sight of her salmon colored top made me cringe a little as the rest of the kids came on stage in their black and red performance dress.  Then the little kids came on stage lining in front of the other kids and there was Asher in his bright yellow flannel and black and yellow Nike's, dead front and center, without a clue why he was up there.

I think I slumped in my seat a little.  When the music began it was sweet.  Seventy-five or more kids singing Christmas songs in their ununison harmonies.  Then our sweet, sweet Asher decided to that since he didn't know what to do, he would do his own thing, in his yellow shirt, dead front and center. 

I should have known. 

He stomped his feet, did twirls, moved back and forth from the edge of the stage, walked around (with another boy who lost his head piece and was acting like a ghost) and bent over kicking his feet in the air. 


PROOF: 
Look for the ball of yellow in the front
(sorry for the horribly scratched lens).

There was plenty of laughter, as Asher and his ghost-friend distracted in the front.  I overheard one guy in front of me refer to Asher and his break dancing moves, while I exchanged smiling glances with the lady next to me, who had no idea I was the mother of the boy in yellow.  With my hand on my brow, I sunk a little deeper into my seat.  When the final song was over, they asked all the parents take a few moments with their kids to take pictures, etc.  It felt as though the entire time I was walking to the stage to greet my bright yellow ball of moves that people wondered, who could be this kids' parents? 

Outcome: a smiling, happy Asher and Brooklynn. 
Me: embarrassed and shocked at the way service turned out, yet proud of my happy and adaptable children?
Asher said: "that was a fun sheep show!" 
Brooklynn said: "I was a little nervous, but not like last year."  I guess that's how it goes when you don't have time to get nervous!

Never a dull moment with children.

x

10 comments:

Taesha Baldridge Cecil December 19, 2011 at 4:38 PM  

That's awesome! I can't wait to have my own kids...well, actually, i can wait. Haha but i'm still excited!!

TheDoeAndTheThistle December 19, 2011 at 6:52 PM  

That is honestly the cutest story I've heard in a long time. Your kiddos are brave little ones! I would be mortified to have to get up & perform in front of people without the slightest idea of what to do! You must be proud!

It's me December 20, 2011 at 12:04 AM  

What a sweet story about your so brave kids!!

Enjoy a happy week darling...almost christmas......love from me...xxx...

x
xxx
xxxxx
xxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
||
||

Cassie December 20, 2011 at 9:13 AM  

Taesha--you've got the rest of your life to be a mama. No rush is right! Live up these young years!!

Mountain Mama and Ria--the bravery of my youngsters is a trait that I'm happy they have. They are pretty much fearless, but boy does it present a rude awakening at times! ;)

It's me December 20, 2011 at 9:35 AM  

I am on my way to you !!...did you see nr 4 too???...xxx...

Loredana December 20, 2011 at 11:35 AM  

HYSTERICAL!!! OMG I love it. I love that your kids did what they could and have fun with it. You're right, it never is a dull moment with kids loll

Have a great Christmas!! xo

Cassie December 20, 2011 at 2:55 PM  

Thank you, Ria! I'll be waiting with tea and cookies!

Lori-these kids are a crack up. All. Day. Long!

Gigi's Thimble December 20, 2011 at 4:35 PM  

Ah too funny. We had a little toddler walk up onto the stage at our school program the other day. He was up there in front for a while and then tried to but his way into the kids who were standing on the bleachers before our principle went and snagged him. It made for some good laughs, which I am sure Asher created as well. Glad he had a good time :)


Amber

brittany marie davis December 21, 2011 at 9:49 AM  

Too cute! And it's what they'll remember being part of and how they felt that really matters. You did good letting them be part of the program.

My little boys didn't want to be part of our ward Christmas program until there was candy being given out to the children on the stage at the end of the program. And ya know what, they shamelessly marched up to that stage and grabbed some candy. Well, Sam couldn't go through with it. He turned off to the left and exited the stage, but Noah went full speed ahead. :)

Cassie December 21, 2011 at 10:47 AM  

It's so fun to watch them do as they please at times. Nate and I are still a little surprised that Asher wasn't shy...? His 'been here done this attitude,' in front of strangers, really isn't that usual!

Britt- Oh, Sam and Noah. :) This makes me smile. What cuties. Asher would have such fun playing with the boys. I so hope to visit soon!

“You must write every single day of your life... You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads... may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.” ― Ray Bradbury
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP