Monday, January 21, 2013

Monday Mentions: bits and curiosities from around the web


Friday afternoon, as Asher and I were on our way into town, the sun was setting in the most vibrant of colors.  At first I was sad that I didn't have my camera, and that I was cooped up in a car driving with a list of to-do's.  Then I realized, all of that could wait.  We drove quickly up the nearest hill, pulled over and watched.  The view was amazing, and we oohed and awed till the very last bit of that red-orange sunburst slipped out of sight. 

Although he's just four, I hope Asher remembers us waiting on the sunset together; that he will grow to be a seeker of such moments regularly.  Because for me, these moments are what keep all of this together--the mystery, heartache, faith, redundancy, overflowing love.  It's like He announces through vibrant panorama--I'm here; I've got this.  And I need those reminders some times.  You, too?

Now for some other bits and curiosities:

I'm moving into my fourth week of my 30 day Paleo challenge, and let's just say that treats have been on the brain.  But it's funny--when you get this far along, your appetite for treats changes and you aren't willing to waste your splurge on anything.  Enter Chocolate Chunk Paleo Cookies.  Boom.  They hit the spot.  Even if you don't have a Paleo eating lifestyle or an interest, these are cookies are healthy and worth making...and I suggest doubling the recipe!

If you don't know Sarah Von of Yes and Yes, you live under a rock.  She writes snappy, smart content about it all--travel, how-tos, tips for success and awesome lists, including her weekly, Web Time Wasters.  She also does a series in which she interviews people about their unique, true stories.  And I did one with her!

My girl is at the age now, that she wants to try her hand at everything I do.  If I'm cooking, she wants to help.  If I'm sewing, she wants to try.   So perfectly, my sis pinned these brilliant sewing cards for kids.  They're a great place to begin, and free to print, too!

Seattle just hosted the world's largest snowball fight...for one epic minute...and set a Guinness World Record The entire night took a life of its own, as some played a form of storm the castle. Many threw snowballs wildly and blindly. Smart ones ducked. Dumb ones didn’t. Many earned welts for their bravado/stupidity.  Clearly, we missed out.

This German shepherd attends church service each day, and for a reason that may leave you sobbing.

Eeeeek!  I'm all signed up.  I'm going to be one of 35,000 runners here.  Since I've been crossfitting, I haven't been doing much long-distance running, but I've been missing it.  So it's time to start hitting the pavement and prepare to beat my 15k record!

I hope you are hitting the ground running this Monday, friends!

Have a great one!

Thanks to J.Kendrick for posting this image on her Facebook feed. It's perfect. :)

3 comments:

brittany marie davis January 21, 2013 at 4:24 PM  

Oh Cassie, so much of what you say, touches my soul. I especially like your thoughts on the sunset and what the Lord is possibly saying to us. I need those reminders. That feeling that He is in control. I need to relax more often and trust! Great reminder, Cassie!

And I have to admit, I live under a rock. Dunno who you were talking about, but I'll follow the link and check it out. :)

Gigi's Thimble January 22, 2013 at 8:10 PM  

That is awesome you watched the sunset with Asher. I'm sure he'll remember and that doesn't have to be the last time you do that with him! It sounds like a wonderful moment. I'd like to do that too with my fam.

Congrats on signing up for another race. I might do one this summer too. I'm thinkin' about it.

That snowball fight sounds funny :)

Connie January 22, 2013 at 8:50 PM  

All I can say is wow, wow and wow! Your thoughts are...wow! Love you, Hon!

“You must write every single day of your life... You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfumes and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads... may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.” ― Ray Bradbury
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

  © Blogger templates Brooklyn by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP